My Prince

My Prince
I love you Ben 10

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm 35 and mummy to Ben 10 (nickname) who will be 1 in July 2012. I'm also pregnant and due in September 2012 and keeping the sex a surprise until he/she arrives. Too excited but alot calmer 2nd time around. I'm looking forward to blogging about the things I enjoy, and also the things which I've not enjoyed and hopefully people will enjoy reading it. I used to work in a department for a major retailer where I used to test products so I would love to able to do that in my spare time and provide reviews. I'm open, and honest ... and a chatterbox.

Wednesday 18 April 2012

1 pregnant lady, 1 baby ... and a car park space


Every time I go shopping I dread the thought of parking. Squeezed up against another car, holding the sides so as not to scrape it.
I love going shopping but the parking is really too much of headache.
Westfields
Could not see any spaces available for 'parent & child' and each time, I'm charged between £5 to £15 to park in their car park but they fail to provide adequate amounts of spaces for people with children. I struggled to get out my car - squeezing sideways between my car and that to my right, I moved down the car - tried to open the door, only to find that I was against a pillar, so I returned to my seat, reversed and looked to see if I could find another space. After driving around for about 5 minutes, I found that all spaces were pretty much the same. I had two options; leave my son in the car whilst I go off to do my shopping for the next 3 hours, or take him out of the car BEFORE I park! Whoever designed the centre obviously wasn't a parent... or pregnant!! It's the same story every time I am there, if my husband is with me - he takes Aamir out before I drive into the space, if he's not, then I have to struggle...with a bump and a baby! Is it worth the hassle? No, it's really not.  

Mummy rating 2/10
Maltings, St Albans
Pretty much the same story..... but worse! I even asked if I could park in the disabled bay as I was struggling and was told 'no'. Given this is where I do my shopping on a Saturday, and where I have to park if I'm going to the bank - it's not ideal that every week I have to endure the same issues. The parking space is barely big enough for a person of a small frame to get through, never mind trying to squeeze your baby out of the small gap. I've lost count of the times I have hit his head on the door frame trying to take him out of his seat because I can just about get him out.
Then comes the next bit.... the doors are heavy - metal, fire door heavy. Unless I'm lucky enough to meet a kind person coming through who will hold the door for me... I'm stuffed. I can barely fit the pushchair through the door, my bag on the handle gets knocked ... I've even had a vase break (10mins after I bought it in TKMaxx) because the door came back on my pram and hit it. Honestly, it's a chore getting out of the car park into the centre but going back in ... that takes the biscuit. Somehow, I have to find a way to PULL the door, AND push the pram whilst doing both simultaneously.
I have to wonder, 'have they done it on purpose perhaps to put parents with small children off coming to do their shopping'?
Mummy rating 1/10
Galleria, Hatfield
As I drove into the car park my first thought was if I would find a parent & baby space. Ever hopeful, there were none available BUT unlike St Albans... at least they were provided. Still had a slightly difficult time getting Aamir out of the car seat but at least not as bad as the first two. Mummy rating 3/10
Harlequin, Watford
I was lucky enough to find a space for parent & baby and I was over the moon. No trying to suck myself thin, no banging of heads.. or cars (oops)...so Harlequin... you get 8/10 (Star rating).


Think it's time to leave the car keys at home and take the bus or shop only at Watford,

No comments:

Post a Comment